Final Video Project

For this video remix I wanted to try and create an experimental video edit. I wanted to try not to worry too much about the aesthetics of the film, but to create a kind of surrealist piece of video art. Along the way the video began to take shape as a kind of nightmarish montage, so I went with it and allowed this to happen somewhat.

1. I began by attaching my GoPro to a frisbee and also to a football with duct tape. My plan was to film the frisbee and the football spinning/sailing through the air and use that as my raw footage for the experimental video remix edit.

taping up the football taping up the GoProGoPro Frisbee football with GoPro on it

2. This is a sample of what the raw footage looked like.

3. I then began importing/sorting the footage


4. The green thumbnails are the GoPro/football clips and the purpley pink thumbnails are the GoPro/frisbee clips.


5. I then mixed up the frisbee and football footage throughout so that it was more random. I also tried to vary the length of the clips, with clips of longer and shorter duration mixed throughout.


6. Once this was done and I had achieved my rough timeline, I began adding effects. I experimented a lot. I mucked around with basically every video effect available in Premier Pro and layered numerous effects over each other on some of the GoPro clips.

7. After I had finished adding the effects I watched what I had made. I then coloured all of the clips that I thought were not interesting/effected enough blue, and went back over those clips with further effects.


8. After I had finished effecting the blue clips, I moved all of my clips into one video channel.


This is a list of clip numbers/effects utilised:

  1. Invert (Used Keyframes)
  2. Fast Blur, Mirror (Used Keyframes)
  3. Colour Key, Colour Key
  4. Solarize (Used Keyframes)
  5. Change to Colour
  6. Fast Colour Corrector (Used Keyframes)
  7. Gaussian Blur (Used Keyframes)
  8. Position/Scale, Mirror (Used Keyframes)
  9. Gamma Correction (Used Keyframes)
  10. Turbulent Displace (Used Keyframes)
  11. Position/Scale (Used Keyframes), Mirror (Used Keyframes)
  12. Noise Alpha (Used Keyframes)
  13. Invert, Turbulent Displace
  14. Gamma Correction, Solarize (Used Keyframes)
  15. Ultra Key
  16. Ramp
  17. Emboss
  18. Noise HLS
  19. Time Remapping (Offset)
  20. Solid Composite, Opacity (Used Keyframes)
  21. Change to Colour
  22. Non Red Key
  23. Position, Scale, Brush Strokes
  24. Threshold
  25. Mirror, Mirror, Mirror
  26. Colour Balance RGB (Used Keyframes)
  27. Mirror
  28. Invert Green Channel
  29. Noise
  30. Fast Colour Corrector (removed some green from the Colour wheel)
  31. Position/Scale, Channel Blur
  32. Ultra Key
  33. Solarize (Used Keyframes)
  34. Turbulent Displace
  35. Change to Colour (changed from the grass colour to a pink colour)
  36. Sharpen (a lot)
  37. Position/Scale, Wave Warp
  38. Solarize
  39. Directional Blur (Used Keyframes)
  40. Magnify
  41. Lens Flare
  42. Twirl, Twirl (Used Keyframes)
  43. Invert (red channel)
  44. Mirror, Twirl (Used Keyframes)
  45. Emboss
  46. Mosaic (Used Keyframes)
  47. Turbulent Displace
  48. Spherize, Mirror
  49. Mirror, Mirror (Used Keyframes)
  50. Invert, Mirror
  51. Ultra Key
  52. Position/Scale, Mirror, Convolution Kernel
  53. Echo
  54. Solarize, Mirror (Used Keyframes)

9. I then began making the audio track to accompany the video

I used the voice recorded in my phone to record a bunch of sounds from around my house, these included:

  • A squeaking door
  • A spinning skateboard wheel
  • Tapping the body of a ukulele with a finger
  • A squeaking window being opened
  • A dumbbell bar nut being screwed on
  • A dumbbell rack being flicked
  • A wind chime
  • My own voice making a low hummmm
  • My own voice making breathing noises
  • Flicking a stanley knife blade
  • The electronic humm of an automatic Nerf Gun being turned on
  • Several medals jingling against one-another
  • A curtain being opened
  • Several screws being dropped

10. I then began to alter and edit these sounds as much as I could

I found that the most interesting, and also the most “nightmarish”, sounds were created by the following:

  • The dumbbell bar nut being screwed on (its hollow metallic sound was scary)
  • The squeaking door (slowed down and reversed made it quite demonic)
  • My voice humming (reversed and slowed down)
  • My voice breathing (also reversed and slowed)
  • The skateboard wheel spinning (slowed down a lot)
  • The squeaking window (reversed it sounded AMAZING, the wooden squeak is really piercing and scary)

I also used the other sounds in my first list

11. This is what my finished sound looked like

Screen shot 2015-10-16 at 8.11.47 PM

  • The top track was the dumbbell bar nut being screwed on (in reverse etc) and also the squeaking window edited audio
  • The second track has the Nerf Gun being turned on in the middle of it, and a few various other audio clips
  • The third track has my voice in it as well as the skateboard wheel sound and the door squeak
  • The bottom track has a variety of all the other tracks

12. I then imported the audio into Premier Pro to begin the completion of my experimental edit


I also added a few cross dissolves and retimed a few of the shorter clips to make them longer

Here is my finished video remix

I am quite happy with how it has come out, it certainly has a demonic nightmare feel to it. I am especially happy with the way that the audio and video compliment each other towards the end of clip.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s